Do you like Almond Milk or have you ever wondered how its made ? This recipe is easy to follow, and of course its cheaper to make almond milk at home than buy it at the shops. So if you are looking to save a few pennies or just want to know how delicious plant based milks are made then follow the recipe below. Just substitute the almond for others nuts e.g. cashew, brazil if you want to try a different flavour of plant based milk.
1 cup of raw almonds, preferably organic.
3 cups of water.
Sugar like agave syrup of maple syrup (this is optional).
1. Cover the almonds with about 2 inches of water. Let the almonds soak overnight, i.e. for over 12 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the almonds. Run the almonds under cold running water. Drain.
3. Combine the almonds and the 3 cups of water in a blender. Blend for 2 minutes.
4. Ensure the almonds are broken down into a very fine meal. You may want to ‘pulse’ the blender to start with. If you need to blend for longer then do this, the finer the almond meal, the more milk you will be able to extract.
5. Strain the blended mixture through a very fine strainer (a cheese cloth or muslin cloth will do).
6. Taste the almond milk. Add sweetener (such as agave or maple syrup) according to your taste.
Note: You can add less water if you prefer a creamier consistency.
All done ! Enjoy. You can store the milk in a refrigerator for up to 2 days.